Review: Wool Omnibus (Silo book 1 of 3)

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) (Wool, #1-5) - Hugh Howey

Originally read February 25, 2014

This was an excellent book -- the kind that tempted me to read it when there were other much more important things I needed to be doing. The slow pace with which I had to read this book due to other responsibilities was painful. I was constantly trying to come up with ways to sneak a few minutes of reading time into my day so I could find out what would happen next.

This is one of those books that keeps you guessing. Early on in the omnibus, more questions are raised than answered and the curiosity builds up so intensely that you can’t help but to keep turning the pages in hopes of learning the answers. I read this book as part of a group read on another site (the first one I’ve ever participated in) and it was a lot of fun to pause at the end of each book within the omnibus and speculate about motives and events with other people before plunging into the next book in search of more answers.

The characters changed throughout the omnibus, but all of the point-of-view characters were interesting and I cared about what happened to them. Although the ending didn’t wrap everything up in a nice, neat bow, I did find it to be a satisfying ending. By the end of the omnibus, most of the fundamental questions are answered but there are still so many more details to be filled in. Within two minutes of finishing this omnibus, I had downloaded the next omnibus, Shift, onto my Kindle.

I don’t give five stars very often, but this book had a great combination of interesting characters, an interesting plot (bonus points for making me think!), a reasonably satisfying ending, and whatever that indefinable writing style is that kept me turning pages even when I didn’t have the time or the energy to read.