Review: Killer

Killer - Stephen Carpenter

Originally read December 24, 2013

I “purchased” this e-book a couple years ago when it was available for free on Amazon and I’ve only just now gotten around to reading it. I should have read it sooner!

Killer is a fast-paced mystery that keeps you guessing for the first part of the book. A murder has been committed, and the murderer might have been the main character, an author named Jack.  Did he commit the murder?  If not, how did he write about the murder in such detail when it was committed before his book had been published?  How did he know details about the murder that weren’t in the book?  Not even Jack could answer these questions, because the murders occurred at a time when Jack was in a dark place -- and in a perpetual drunken stupor.

By the middle of the book, the author had left enough clues to allow the reader to figure out most of the answers. However, the story continued to move forward at a fast pace because there were still details to be filled in, not to mention a messy situation that needed to be resolved.

I liked the main character in the story. I found myself rooting for him and hoping he wasn’t the killer. There was one moment in this book that I particularly liked. After Jack learned about the murder that seemed to be exactly like the one in his book, he went to his lawyer. Jack told his lawyer absolutely everything, even the stuff that seemed to implicate him.  It was very refreshing. Too often I’m frustrated by fictional characters of all genres who hold back information and keep secrets when it seems so obvious that telling the truth would be the better course of action and save a lot of trouble in the long run.  It often comes across as a plot device to create drama.  I love it when characters actually behave in a manner that makes sense.  Authors can still create drama without making their characters act like complete idiots. So, while Jack didn’t always make entirely brilliant decisions, I did really like the way he handled that meeting with his lawyer.

This book has a sequel, Killer in the Hills, but Killer stands completely on its own. There aren’t any dangling threads at the end to leave you feeling like you didn’t get a complete story.