Review: Barracuda

Barracuda - Mike Monahan

Originally read December 19, 2013

I've had this book on my Kindle for years, and I decided it was time to read it.  There was certainly more to the story than just a killer barracuda on the loose at a scuba diving resort.  The middle part of the story, when things were happening and the story was moving forward, held my interest.  In the beginning, things moved a little slow, partly due to reasons mentioned in my next paragraph.  Near the end of the story, there was so much chaos that I started to lose interest and I realized that I didn’t really care what happened to the characters.  I think there was just too much happening at the end.  It wasn’t that it was confusing to follow, but rather that I could no longer suspend my disbelief that so many things could all go wrong at once.  Also, the events in the story turned into such a gigantic mess of problems that I quit caring about whether everything turned out well for the majority of the characters.  Once I quit caring, it was hard to push through and finish the book.

There were quite a few errors in the book, and the writing was sometimes awkward.  For example, there were a couple paragraphs where a character would give a monologue spelling out his plans to somebody in great detail.  This needed to be broken up a bit with dialogue, or not be in spoken form at all.  Or perhaps, better yet, they could have been left out altogether and we could have simply seen how things played out as a result of those unspoken plans.  I’m not usually one to complain about too many details in a book, but I thought the detective’s trip to his vacation destination was covered in way too much detail.  I kept thinking that it read like a “trip report” that you might read on a vacation forum where people come back home after a trip and report everything they did and saw from the moment they left their home.  I remember reading a couple such trip reports once when I was looking for info on a trip I was planning, and I was bored to tears by them.  They included the minutest details such as what everybody on the trip ate for each meal and descriptions of their interactions with every employee they encountered, even if nothing particularly interesting happened.  That was sort of what the travel portions in the beginning of this book reminded me of.