Review: Scriber

Scriber - Ben S. Dobson

Originally read November 20, 2013

I really liked this book.  It started a little slow for me, but I soon got into the story and it held my interest well.  I found it to be quite unique in comparison with the other fantasy novels I’ve read.  I also liked that this is a standalone story.  I enjoy a good, epic fantasy series, but sometimes it’s really nice to just read something that stands on its own and doesn’t require a long-term investment.

The plot was interesting.  At first you aren’t quite certain what’s going on, but everything is slowly revealed.  I usually figured things out a little bit before the characters did, which I think was the intention.  Although this is not a funny story, it isn’t without humor.  I occasionally found myself laughing out loud at the interactions between different characters.

The main characters were interesting and, for the most part, likeable.  The book is written in the first person perspective, which works very well for this story.  I would even go so far as to say it was necessary for the story.  Dennon Lark, the scriber from whose perspective we’re reading, is flawed but likeable.  We learn through his eyes about the female soldiers he unexpectedly finds himself working with and, as Dennon’s respect for them grows, so does the reader’s.