Review: Resonance

Resonance - Chris Dolley

Originally read November 14, 2013

I could barely put this book down.  I don’t want to give many details about the story because, the less you know going into it, the more fun you'll have figuring it out.  The main character, Graham, appears to have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.  Certainly everyone around him thinks so.  He believes that, if he doesn't follow certain patterns of behavior, the world will start to unravel.  He might, for example, find himself living at a different address even though he hasn't moved.  Or he might find that somebody who had been alive just yesterday has actually have been dead for years.

I read this book without having read the entire synopsis (which I think spoils too much of the story) and it was great fun.  I slowly pieced together what was going on along with the main characters.  Even once you figure out what’s going on, there’s still a lot more to figure out.  Why is it happening?  What can be done about it?  Who can be trusted?

If I’d had the time, I might have read this book in one sitting.  Since I don’t have that sort of time, I read it over the course of a few days.  As I went about my work day, I would occasionally find myself thinking about the book.  I would speculate about what might happen next or reevaluate the meaning of earlier parts of the book based on the most recent revelations.  It made me eager to get home so that I could read some more.  It’s been a while since a book has captured my attention so well that I would think about it even when I wasn’t reading it.

There’s nothing that pulls me out of a book faster than characters who don’t ring true.  The main characters in Resonance, however, were likeable and believable. Not to mention unique and quirky.  This story could have been confusing, yet somehow the author managed to write it in a way that was very easy to follow.  This was even true during the climax when things were especially chaotic.  As others have mentioned, this isn’t really “hard science”, but I found the story to be internally consistent which is what really matters to me.