Review: Witches Abroad (Discworld Book 13 of 53ish)

Witches Abroad - Terry Pratchett

This is the third book in the Witches subseries of Discworld.  The last time I enjoyed a Discworld book this much was when I read the second Witches book, Wyrd Sisters.  I’m not sure if I’m far enough into Discworld to proclaim my favorite subseries yet, but Witches is the top contender.

As with the previous Witches book, this story focuses primarily on the characters of Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat.  Through a series of events, the three are led to journey to a distant country to deal with an evil fairy godmother who, among other things, is trying to make a girl marry a prince of questionable origin.  There are a lot of references to familiar fairy tales, but they’re usually twisted around in an amusing way.  I thought the overall plot in this book was far more coherent than that of most of the other Discworld books.

Although Magrat can be annoying sometimes, Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are just hilarious and some of their reactions as they traveled through “foreign parts” made me laugh.  One minor complaint I have is that, in Wyrd Sisters, the same characters referred to other places as “forn parts”.  They seem to have inexplicably learned how to pronounce “foreign” since then, and for some reason I missed the references to “forn parts”.

Happily, there’s another Witches book only two books away on my Discworld list, so I’ll get the chance to revisit this subseries in the near future.