Review: Golden Son (Red Rising Book 2 of 3)

Golden Son - Pierce Brown

This is the second book in the Red Rising series.  I still can’t stay I’m hooked, but I did enjoy it more than the first one.  It held my attention a bit better, and it felt a little less generic.

I don’t have much to write about it by way of review, though.  There isn’t much I can say without spoiling anything, and this book just hasn’t inspired many opinions that I feel the need to ramble about.

I do have a couple comments that I’ll have to put in spoiler tags.  There are major spoilers here, so don’t click if you haven’t finished this book:

I was really hoping the main goal Darrow has been striving for would be achieved by the end of this book, leaving the third book to be all about building a new and better society.  In my opinion, that would be the more interesting story, and it’s the story that’s often neglected in these types of books.  Given the current prejudices and habits, it isn't going to be easy.  It’s easier to destroy things than to build them.  Maybe there’s still a chance we can get to that fairly early in the third book, but I kind of expect book three will end on the verge of that point without actually addressing it.

I did like the revelation about who Ares was.  Maybe I should have predicted that, but I didn’t.  His death, on the other hand, I saw coming a mile away.  It seems common in books to kill the character fulfilling the role of leader, mentor, or figurehead so the main character can feel more adrift and take on more responsibility.

(show spoiler)

As with Red Rising, I’m giving this 3.5 stars.  It’s a “higher” 3.5 this time, though.  I’m rounding it up to 4 stars on Goodreads whereas I rounded Red Rising down to 3.