Review: Mort (Discworld Book 4 of 53ish)

Mort - Terry Pratchett

Reading in publication order, this is the fourth book in the Discworld series.  It’s also the first book in the Death subseries.  This was my favorite out of the four I’ve read so far.

For the most part, I enjoyed the story and was quite interested in it.  There were some slow parts, and I thought the ending was trite, but the premise was fun.  The general story is that a young man by the name of Mortimer, Mort for short, catches the attention of Death.  Death is apparently going through some sort of a mid-life(?) crisis and wants a break, so he recruits Mort as an apprentice.  Mort has problems with certain aspects of the job so things don’t always go smoothly.

I liked the characters, especially Mort and Cutwell.  Rincewind made a brief appearance which I enjoyed.  I also enjoyed the humor.  Some of it is still a little over-the-top, but it doesn’t bother me to the extent it did when I first started the series.  I think it’s also been toned down some and often fits more naturally into the story itself.  The following quote particularly made me laugh, although I’m sure it’s nowhere near as funny if you don’t know the context, and I can’t really provide context without spoiling anything.  With royal self-control, Keli said, “This is the fourth floor.  It’s a lady’s bedroom.  You’d be amazed at how many horses we don’t get up here.”

Although 3.5 stars is the same rating I gave to the previous two books, it’s a “higher” 3.5.  I’m rounding up to 4 on Goodreads whereas I previously rounded down to 3.  The next book on my list is Sourcery, another Rincewind novel, so it will be interesting to get back to his story and see what kind of trouble he’s getting himself into.