Review: Royal Destiny (Queen of the Orcs Book 3 of 3)

Royal Destiny - Morgan Howell

This was a pretty good trilogy, and different from anything I personally have read before because it has a large focus on orcish culture.  I don’t remember reading anything where orcs even had a culture, much less where the reader was given details about it.  Orcs have never held any particular interest for me before, but I really liked the way they were presented here.

The angsty romance that annoyed me in the second book didn’t have as much focus this time.  It was still there, but I didn’t feel like it overwhelmed the story as much.  The story itself held my interest well, and I particularly enjoyed watching the main character learn how to function in the new situation she found herself in.  I’m being deliberately vague because I don’t want to spoil the actual story from the previous books.

I did occasionally feel restless while reading, though.  The story never had me “on the edge of my seat”, anxious to see what would happen next.  I think this is largely because there were prophetic visions in the series, and that usually makes books feel more predictable to me.  Even though the visions in this story often didn’t play out exactly in the manner I might have expected, they still gave a general impression of how things would turn out and that reduced some of the suspense for me.

The ending was very bittersweet.  I think, if I’d been more invested in certain aspects of the story, I might have been upset by the ending.  Instead, I was ok with how things turned out and I thought the ending fit the story well.