Review: King's Property (Queen of the Orcs Book 1 of 3)

King's Property - Morgan Howell

This is a fantasy book that I downloaded for free almost seven years ago, and I’m sorry I didn’t get around to trying it sooner.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody talk about it, and it doesn’t seem to be very highly rated, but I actually really liked it.  It’s not a book I’d recommend without reservation though; it’s pretty bleak.

The story focuses on a young woman named Dar whose family treats her terribly, culminating in the event at the beginning of the book where her family gives her away to the King’s army to serve as a slave to a regiment of Orcs.  The story focuses on Dar’s adjustment to her new role, the threats she faces on a day-to-day basis, and her discoveries about Orc culture.

The men in Dar’s world don’t value women, and there’s a lot of brutality.  Most things aren’t described in an explicit manner, but that doesn’t make the events any less disturbing.  The story is told primarily from the perspective of Dar, but every now and then we would randomly jump into somebody else’s perspective for a few paragraphs.  I really liked Dar, as well as some of the other main characters in the story, but I did think the villains were rather one-dimensional.

The story was told simply, and this book served as a great distraction that didn’t require excessive brain power while I was recovering from a cold.  This is the first book in a trilogy, and there’s clearly more story to be told, but it didn’t end with any sort of a major cliff hanger.  I plan to continue on with the next book right away.