Review: Wings to the Kingdom (Eden Moore Book 2 of 3)

Wings to the Kingdom - Cherie Priest

As with the first book in this series, the second book stands on its own.  There are references to the first book, but nothing that would interfere with understanding the story in this book.  The story is that something has happened at the historical Chickamauga Civil War battlefield in Georgia (U.S.) to make the ghosts of the dead soldiers restless.  They’ve started showing up and startling visitors in broad daylight, pointing toward something in the distance.  Our main character, Eden, is trying to figure out what’s happened and how to solve the problem.

I enjoyed this book, but I liked it a bit less than the first book in the series.  This story was more straight-forward than the first one and it was pretty easy to guess the answers to the main questions from early on.  I missed the suspense from the first book that propelled me through it almost against my will in search of the answers to all my questions.  Also, even though the first book wasn’t terribly creepy, it was definitely creepier than this one and I missed that creepier atmosphere.  Despite all this, the book was still well-written and interesting.  I still had some trouble putting it down because I was interested in the story even if I did always feel like I knew what was going to happen next.

As with the first book, the story is told from the first-person perspective of our main character, Eden.  However, unlike the first book, there are a few chapters where we read from the third-person perspective of a different character.   From the first chapter with this other character it’s easy to understand what’s going on and, from that point, make a good guess about the shape of the rest of the story.  Especially since his story begins a few weeks in the past compared to the other chapters.  When there are only two character perspectives, you know that their two stories are intertwined in some way and there are usually only so many ways to put the two pieces together so it makes the story more predictable.  I think, when it comes to perspectives, I prefer either a single perspective or else a whole bunch of perspectives.

In this book, Eden isn’t working alone as much as she was in the first book.  She has some friends her age, although I certainly have no idea where she found them since she didn’t seem to have any long-term friends at all in the previous book, she doesn’t go to school, she doesn’t have a job, and these mysterious friends don’t seem to live near her.  All Eden seems to do when she’s not hanging out with ghosts is hang out in coffee shops and diners.  I guess maybe she met them there, or else she knew them from her school years.  This is the one thing that’s still really annoying me about the series – Eden is a likeable character, and her personality is very clear and distinct, but there are some gaping holes in terms of what her life is like beyond the main events of the stories being told.

So, with those complaints, I don’t think I can justify giving this more than 3.5 stars. I did still enjoy the story though, and I do like the author’s writing style, so I plan to read the third and final book in the series.