Review: Mockingjay (Hunger Games Book 3 of 3)

Mockingjay - Collins Suzanne

In this third and final book in the Hunger Games trilogy, we finally see what I was expecting from the very first book – a real effort to overthrow the capitol.  I thought this book had a lot more depth to it than the previous two.  It was pretty grim, though.

The rebellion was portrayed realistically.  There were a lot of atrocities committed on both sides, there were doubts as to whether the would-be new leader was any better than the leader they were trying to depose, there were psychologically traumatized people who didn’t just inexplicably get better after a little while, and there were a lot of deaths.  Several of those deaths were characters I cared about.  There was one character death in particular that completely caught me off guard, and it seemed to make so little sense at the time that I thought it wasn’t real, that somebody’s eyes had played tricks on them.  How it happened made sense later after more explanation was provided although I think it was intentionally still left a little ambiguous whereas I would have liked a more concrete explanation.

Not surprisingly, the ending was pretty depressing.  There were some glimmers of hope at the very end for some of the characters, and there was also a brief epilogue set a few years later that had a more positive feel to it.  But this positive turn didn’t start until nearly the very end of the book so it was too late to lift the general feeling of grimness and despair that had been going on for the majority of the book.  But I was satisfied with the ending.  I typically prefer happier endings, but too much had happened to turn this trilogy into a happy ending without it feeling fluffy and fake and incongruous with the rest of the story.